Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Coincidence...or????


I'm getting into the radio controlled airplane hobby.....purchased my first plane a couple Saturday's ago.


I've always wanted to get involved. When I played little league baseball we played at a park that had nine fields. It was located West of Overland Park in the Southwest corner of Shawnee Mission Park. During games you could always hear and sometimes see remote controlled planes being flown in the distance.


Also, my Dad was a b-25 pilot in WWII. I heard tons of stories, as I posted around Memorial Day I often didn't listen as a pre-teen I was more worried about getting outside so I didn't miss the action across the street at the home of a family that had nine kids. But over the years I guess his stories stuck with me more than I thought because I have always been fascinated by flight and this seems like a way to get in touch with some of those memories.


I showed up at the field where this r/c club flies and met a man who was there. We small talked about the club, the plane I purchased etc. During our small talk he mentioned a B-25 had just flown past and I was disappointed I had missed that.


As we waited for the arrival of the man who is training me on flying, the gentleman I had met asked to start my plane and fine tune the engine which is gas powered and I couldn't have been more excited after having to wait a week after purchasing the plane before being able to get it in flight.


We gassed it up, hooked up the glow plug warmer, and on the first spin of the prop the plane revved up. I thought to myself...how cool is this! But, just second later and it couldn't have been more than 25 or 30 seconds later, off from the distance, taking off from Neosho's Hugh Robinson Airport on a slow thunderous climb was the B-25. It slowly climbed several hundred feet and banked to the East, slowly banking for its flight South. The turn brought the warbird directly overhead. The growl of the twin engines was low and throaty and memories and thoughts of my Dad flooded my mind. In a visual that lasted only a minute or so I felt like I had lived through his time spent in WWII.


Seeing the aircraft in flight brought his stories to life and after living without him for 18 years, he passed away in 1989, I never felt closer and though probably a coincidence with uncanny timing it did make me look over my shoulder to see if he was there.

No comments: